One of the most typical starters of our gastronomy is the variety of sausages, Iberian ham- Jamón Ibérico and cheese, and enjoying these accompanied with bread is undoubtedly a pleasure that everyone will like. If you want to know how to prepare a sausage platter at the height of the most distinguished guests you have come to the right place; for Enrique Tomás loves to enjoy these products, and we will give you our best advice!
What kind of dry-cured sausages shall have a top-quality platter?
Although when we talk about sausages we usually refer to chorizo, lomo and salchichón, any Spanish platter that is worthwhile, it should be served with Jamón and cheese, two star delicacies of our gastronomy. In Enrique Tomás, as Jamón experts that we are, we know that it is impossible to suppress these delicacies from a good meal, so we will include them as well. So, how do you prepare a platter of dry-cured sausages keeping up with the occasion? This is including the following products:
- Jamón ibérico: although the taste of the Jamón Gran Reserva is delicious, it has nothing to do with the Jamón Ibérico, full of aromas, nuances and juiciness, but not all Iberian hams are the same. The Jamón Ibérico de cebo, for example, is softer than the Jamón 100% Iberico and, in order to satisfy as many diners as possible, we recommend an intermediate one, the Jamón Ibérico de Bellota from Salamanca if you are looking for a more restful taste or the taste of Huelva, if you prefer one with stronger nuances.
- Lomo: As with Jamón, the loin can be classified into four types according to the species and racial purity of the pig from which it is obtained. On this occasion, we are also going to bet on the Lomo Iberico de Bellota and, if you want it sliced, you will find it in Enrique Tomás stores as well as in our shop online!
- Salchichón: it is another type of sausage and, as in the previous cases, we recommend you to opt for one prepared with meat from pigs of our peninsula, so our suggestion is the salchichón ibérico campaña, a test for all the palates.
- Chorizo: In the case of chorizo, things change. In our country there are practically as many types of chorizos as there are regions so, depending on your own, you will prefer one or the other. People from Navarra, obviously, prefer the soft but intense touch of the chorizo de Navarra while people from Leon prefer the stronger flavor of their own, for taste the colors.
- Cheese: with this milk it is practically the same as with chorizo and, for example, the Manchego cheese is completely different from the Cabrales cheese typical of Asturias. As a recommendation, Enrique Tomás we advise you to always have any type of Manchego cheese and combine it with other Spanish cheeses. The World Cheese Awards is the international cheese competition and one of its 100 best always has a place in Castilla-La Mancha. In 2017, in addition, four Canary Islands received the award, and an Extremadura from Cáceres received the prize for Best Cheese in Spain and sixth in the world. As you can see, they don’t make them anywhere like here!
So, on your sausage platter you’ll have Jamón, Lomo, Salchichón and cheese but there’s something just as indispensable you can’t forget, bread! And now that you have selected the products, how do you prepare a perfect sausage board? Let’s see how.
How to serve the dry sausages for best enjoying their flavours
Here are three tips for preparing the best sausage platter:
- Serve the Jamón and cheese on one side and the sausages on the other to prevent everything from piling up on a single plate. It is important to avoid that some products come into contact with each other to protect the taste of each and every one of them.
- Remove all products from the fridge about fifteen minutes before serving them to the table so that they are at room temperature and you can appreciate their nuances.
- Serve all the sliced products in the proportions you consider and if you see that, you feel like eating more, then you can take out the whole piece to slice it upon requests.
Finally, at Enrique Tomás we try to make your job easier so if you are looking for a basic top quality sausage platter, we have one for you. Our recommended box of Iberian products PREMIUM has four packs of 80 grams of Jamón, chorizo, lomo and salchichón that we will choose and use when appropriate, you will love it! That said, what are you waiting for? Become the best host and present a table of professional sausages with the best Iberian flavours: