One of the most emblematic dishes of Italian gastronomy, along with pasta and pizza, is risotto. Did you know that the word comes from “riso”, which in Italian means rice?
It is believed that the first recipes for this creamy rice originated in the regions of Lombardy and Piedmont during the Renaissance. Since then, its incredible taste has impressed everyone who tries it, both at home and abroad.
Although the way it is made is always very similar, the difference lies in its ingredients.
The most popular? The cheese risotto, al fungui, a la milanesa, a la marinera, with seafood and, of course, the Iberian ham risotto that you can make with leftovers of hard ham. A delicious dish that we will show you how to prepare right now.
You must know that at Enrique Tomás we are lovers of good ham and we like to take advantage of all the meat on the pig’s hind leg, so we are going to take advantage of those less attractive pieces of ham to prepare this dish. It will be like a restaurant for you!
If you have to decide between which type of ham to use for your risotto, whether Iberian or Serrano, the right answer will depend on the flavour you have in mind for your dish. Since both Ham is one of the star products of the Spanish gastronomy, a... come from different animals, the taste can never be the same.
Iberian ham is made from The Iberian pig is an animal of the porcine breed, the name ... that are only found in Spain and Portugal, while Serrano ham is considered a premium ham that is at the top o... comes from white pigs, of the Duroc, Pietrain or Large White breed, which are found in various regions of the planet.
Iberian pigs are darker and infiltrate the muscle with fat, which is not the case with white pigs. What does this mean? That, together with a certain type of feeding, breeding and exercise, this meat is much juicier than that of the usual The pig is a wonderful animal that is part of the famous Med....
Do you want to surprise your guests with an easy-to-prepare ham risotto? Here’s how to do it.
Making a five-star risotto is much easier than you might think. The key is to choose the right rice, which should be porous and rich in starch, and a good Italian cheese. Let’s get started!
– 1 cup of arborio or carnaroli rice
– ¼ cup of butter
– 1 onion, chopped
– 4 cups of chicken broth
– 1 cup of white wine
– 150 g of Iberian ham in shavings
– 100 g grated Parmesan cheese
– 3 tablespoons of olive oil
– Black pepper to taste
– Salt to taste
1. The first thing you will do to prepare this simple, will be to add the 98olive oil in a pot. Once it is hot, add the onion, previously chopped, to poach it. Keep in mind that the temperature should not be too high, otherwise you run the risk of the onion burning and becoming bitter.
2. When you notice that the onion is already transparent, add the Iberian ham cut into strips and fry it for a few minutes. This frying is what will give the flavour to your dish.
3. Next, pour the broth into a pot and heat it until it boils. The broth should be kept warm during preparation.
4. Next, add the rice to the onion and ham mixture and fry it for a couple more minutes. Then pour in the white wine and, when the alcohol evaporates, add a ladle of broth and stir.
5. From now on, every time the rice absorbs the broth you will add a little more, but without stopping stirring. This procedure is what will allow the starch to be released from the rice and you can obtain the creamy consistency that characterizes it.
6. Once the rice is al dente and brothy, add salt and pepper, turn off the heat, add the butter and finally the cheese so that it melts with the heat.
7. Serve your Iberian ham risotto and decorate it with some Chip is a thin sheet obtained with wood or metalworking tool....
As we told you before, one of the key ingredients to make a perfect risotto is cheese.
Parmesan cheese, or parmigiano reggiano, is definitely the best choice. Other Italian Cheese is a foodstuff obtained by ripening the curd from the... that also go very well with risotto are grana padano and pecorino.
If you want to vary the taste a little, cheeses such as Manchego, Mahon or When we talk about curing in gastronomy we are talking about... sheep’s milk cheeses combine beautifully with a cheese risotto or a classic risotto.
At Enrique Tomás we have some cured cheeses that make you fall in love. Try making your risotto with one of them and you will see what flavor it gives to your dish.
We hope you enjoy this Iberian ham risotto as much as we do, and that you always use top quality ingredients in its preparation. This is essential to achieve the professional result you desire. Enjoy!
To be on top of our new stores, recommended products, promotions and events.